Giving up

4 September 2012 / 2 comments
I recently pledged to read one indie book a month. I loved the first book I discovered (I hate Martin Amis et. al. by Peter Barry), but unfortunately I haven't been able to connect with the second one. I don't care for the main character or the journey that they are on. I couldn't care a bit. So, after numerous attempts, I am giving up around page 60.


I am sorry writer, as I understand the work that has gone into this novel, your first. I still applaud you for completing this book, it's quite long, and in many ways it is very well written. It moves along at a fair pace and there are interesting interactions every now and again. But unfortunately, it's not enough to sustain me. It's not that I need a page turner, I just need to read about someone who I'm vaguely interested in. So I'm breaking it off with you. But you should know that it's not you, it's me.


My time is very precious, I've got two young kids, I work .5 and I have two blogs to maintain, two Facebook and Twitter accounts and have recently joined up to Pinterest. I'm also supposed to be writing a book myself. In this new 'sound bite' world, if I'm not taken with something straight away, it's a real chore to complete it. I signed up to discover great new writing by debut novelists and independent presses. I didn't sign up to be slowly tormented by words.


I'm going to select my next 10 books more carefully, as I don't want to have to admit to giving up on a book in this particular quest again...
Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top