First draft

29 January 2013 / 3 comments
So, just now I've completed a first draft of a new novel, and I'm feeling rather proud of myself. Of course, there is a lot of work to be done, and for me writing is far easier and enjoyable than the rewriting, but it's a fair start.


I'd had some ideas floating around for this book for quite a while, but I think it wasn't until September last year that I discovered the voice for my character and a few ideas cross pollinated and I began to see clearly how this book would flow. I wrote a 1-page (extremely) rough outline on 29 September, which didn't change too much along the way (except I added in a new ending) and now, here we are 29 January and I've got a first draft (four months exactly ... kind of spooky ...).


After listening to Marcos M. Villatoro's talk last year, 'Finding inspiration from the work itself', I decided that I needed to steal more hours for myself to write. So lately, I'm getting up at 6am in the morning, giving myself at least an hour to write before the kids wake up and the day begins to slip away from me. I can write about 400 words in an hour, or if I'm lucky about 1000 in two hours. I'm finding I'm far more effective at writing in the mornings, than I am during nap breaks or in the evenings, when I'm more likely to float around social media sites like a zombie without any purpose.


I charged through this book, leaving 'xxx' when I couldn't think of character's names, or how scenes would play out, or when I knew that something needed to be described expressively but couldn't quite think of the words to say it. By charging through and getting to the end, I've been able to maintain my momentum and can fill these things in when I return to them. At only 23,000 words there is still a lot of work to do - but I've now got a solid foundation to start building my novel upon.
Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top