Open for inspection ...

11 February 2014 / Leave a Comment

My novel has been out in the public domain for about a month now and I’ve only told a handful of my most trusted friends and my family (because I sort of have to …) I’m still coming to terms with the whole thing of having people I know read my work. It feels a bit like having my house open for inspection and I don’t want all the neighbours coming in and having a sticky beak.


But on the other hand … bring in potential buyers! It would be lovely to have an agent to bring some people in, and show them around, but I’m having to do everything myself. So I’ve been focusing on promoting my book on Goodreads, Wattpad and Twitter and requesting reviews from bloggers. I've been waiting to see what the response would be to this quirky book of mine ... 

This morning I received my very first review on Goodreads … my hands broke out in a sweat, I almost couldn’t look at it … but when I finally did it almost took my breath away. It was overwhelmingly positive and his kind words are etched in my mind forever ... Here's some of what he said ...

The premise: an artist who works at a gallery in Australia goes abroad to secure the loan of some paintings by Von Honningsberg for a retrospective show. The narrator talks about the journey and also describes a lot of his own paintings and drawings done while on that journey, so that later when his work is curated by some bozo there won't be any ridiculous symbolic interpretations that he didn't intend.

It's hilarious and brilliantly done. The writing style is quite colloquial and easy to digest. ((I hate it when people compare someone's prose to work by different authors and expect that to mean something to their random audience, so I'm going to put this little turd inside double parentheses where you can skip it if you want, but... There's a tiny bit of the Holden-Caulfieldesque "attitude" in the narrator, which is rather amusing and honestly I think better than Salinger because it's more mature, and it's not really "bad".)) And there's also a lot of grown-up wisdom about art and relationships. Such huge swaths of this book resonate with me, it's hard to know when to stop gushing. So I'll just pause for breath now, and you can show yourself out  ...
  
If you're an artist; or you love an artist; or you've been through art school; or you've been to a gallery or museum where the labels don't just carry the title, artist's name, and media report but also contain eye-ball rollingly snooty BS touting High Brow Themes and Divinely Inspired Symbolism, then this book is for you. Tell 'em The Rodent sent you.

This book cost me one whole US dollar over at Screwpulp.com [what a bloody name for a press eh?], and it's the best dollar I've spent in a week of fine coffee and mouth-watering pastries.

This kind stranger, whoever he is, made me laugh at his witty, well-crafted review. I twirled my 3-year-old around twenty times, pumped full of joy, and then I cried a few happy tears, because this guy made me feel as though all my hard work has finally been worth it. And he may have even helped me build some confidence and think perhaps that it's almost time to invite those nosey neighbours in ...

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/850078272?book_show_action=true&page=1

______________
Rowena Wiseman writes literary fiction and children's stories. Her novel Searching for Von Honningsbergs was longlisted for the Australian Vogel Award in 2007 and has been published as an ebook on Screwpulp: http://www.screwpulp.com/?browse&*=info&id=70

THE DODGY WORLD OF FINE ART ....



Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top