Exit Stage Left ... being published by Merge Publishing

6 June 2014 / Leave a Comment
For a long time now, I’ve been wanting to find a person who believes in me enough to take on my book. I haven’t had grand dreams of my name on the top ten bestseller list, or hundreds of fans lining up at a book signing. My dream has been of a lone figure, quietly reading my work, perhaps with a pen poised to their lip and an ink stain on their finger. And in this fantasy of mine, this person thinks, I believe in this story, I want to publish her book.


Writing is a solitary pursuit, there’s no cheerleaders on the sideline or anyone there to say ‘wow, you did a great job today, that sentence is awesome.’ Most days writing feels akin to madness, as meaningful as playing with two Barbie dolls and one Ken doll under the bed cover.


I’ve had to believe in myself along the way, whilst searching for that other person who would believe in me. I’ve felt like the wild peacock that roams the streets around here crying out for a mate. But my call has finally been answered. I’ve found someone that believes in my work, in the name of Don Stevens and Merge Publishing, who has just signed up my quirky rom-com Exit Stage Left. It’s about a woman who falls in love with another man, so she tries to find a wife for her husband. Merge is an innovative young publisher, who pay royalties to everyone who works on the book, including the editor and designer. Their unique model encourages people to be invested in the project, they don’t want to just see a book published, they want to see it succeed.


Equally as exciting, my long-time friend Kirstie Innes-Will has agreed to edit Exit Stage Left. She’s kindly done manuscript appraisals for me in the past and I really value her judgement and years of editorial training. She’s incredibly well read, can spot a clumsy passage a mile away and she phrases her editorial suggestions so gently, you’d think she was giving you a foot massage. I’m so grateful that she also believes in me enough to take on this project.


And finally, there's Ros Welply who's come on board to design the cover. I just sent him some cover ideas yesterday and it's going to be so exciting seeing my story become a cover concept. I've gone from lone writer to a team of believers ... Exit Stage Left is due to be out this Fall or Spring ... depending which hemisphere you live in!
Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top