Juggling writing with motherhood - Tess Woods

20 May 2015 / Leave a Comment

Tess Woods is a health professional who lives in Perth, Australia, with one husband, two children, one dog and one cat who rules over all of them. Love at First Flight is her first novel for HarperCollins. Her advice for other writing mothers is simple - get a good coffee machine, a cleaner and build a community of other writing mums around you ...


How do you juggle your writing time with being a mother?
Poorly! I do most of my writing at night when the kids are asleep, but it does leave me feeling exhausted when I’m up early the next day to get them ready for school and to get myself off to work in my day job as a physio. But I do it anyway because it’s my passion.


How is your writing viewed by others in your household?
The children are proud that I’m a published author but they have no interest in my writing really. It’s a bit of a non-event for them. If I wrote Young Adult dystopian books, I think I would be much more of a hit with my kids than being a romance author.


What do you think are the main challenges for writing mothers?
Time management and fatigue for sure. As mums we make sure all the children’s needs are met first. So it’s preparing their food, washing their clothes, doing the school run, being the after school mum taxi, helping with homework and attending to the countless other commitments that schools want from us on a weekly basis, whether it’s baking for a cake stall or filling in walk-a-thon forms. Then there’s enjoying life with the kids too and creating special experiences with them and spending time just being with them. After the kids needs are met, we attend to our partner’s needs and supporting them and investing time into our relationships. And then there’s our day jobs! And then there’s running a home – cleaning, ironing, paying bills, caring for pets, grocery shopping. So for me, writing comes in a firm last when prioritising my day and that’s why I end up writing until 2am and doing the next morning’s school run with my eyes hanging out of my head!


What advice or tips would you give to other writing mothers?
1. Get a cleaner!
2. Invest in a coffee machine.
3. Get a community of other author mums around you, we understand each other’s crazy ☺


Tell us about your latest book and why you'll one day be pleased for your child(ren) to read it ...
Love at First Flight is an unconventional love story. It doesn’t follow the typical romance theme and it asks the questions, how far would you go to be with the love of your life? What would you risk? And what if your soulmate is the one who will destroy you?


Mel is living the dream. She’s a successful GP, married to a charming anaesthetist and raising a beautiful family in their plush home in Perth. But when she boards a flight to Melbourne, she meets Matt and her picture perfect Stepford life unravels as she falls in love for the first time ever.


What begins as a flirty conversation between strangers quickly develops into a hot and obsessive affair with disastrous consequences neither Mel nor Matt could have ever seen coming. Mel’s dream life turns into her worst nightmare.


Both of my children are the inspiration for Mel’s children so it will be a buzz for them to read about these characters once they are old enough to understand the themes in the book. I’m also really proud of the book, so I’m excited for them to see that Mum can write and she can write well!


Visit: http://www.tesswoods.com.au/

Also in the juggling writing with motherhood series: 
Liz Madrid writes contemporary new adult as well as paranormal fiction and her novel Loving Ashe has had over a million reads on Wattpad in less than six months. Liz Madrid suggests that writing mothers set up a schedule to write each day and that they also find balance outside of the family to recharge those writing batteries. Read Liz Madrid's responses here ...


Ericka Clay, author of recently published Unkept (Bannerwing Books), founder of TipsyLit and one of my favourite online writers and bloggers. She suggests that we embrace our imperfections and that writing mothers are almost oxymorons ... Read Ericka Clay's responses here ...
Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top