My ultimate reads 2016 - not what you think!

23 December 2016 / Leave a Comment

Sure I've read some awesome books in 2016. I've ploughed through Anaïs Nin's collections of short stories, I've discovered Miranda July, I've been reminded that writing should never get in the way of living in Phillip Roth's The Ghost Writer, I've loved Lois Lowry's The Giver, Neil Randall's The Butterfly and the Wheel and Olga Grushin's The Line, but the two pieces of writing that have touched me the deepest are by my two children.


Above is a little poem my 9-year-old wrote about a convict girl coming out on a ship to Australia. Her teacher told me 'I had to read it'. My heart almost burst with pride when I read her line 'Little hands smudged on the window' ...


And then below is a little story my 6-year-old wrote, titled 'The hot Christmas'. He has only just finished his first year of school. He started the year writing his S's and his Z's and his 2's back to front. Sometimes an S was a 2.

But by the end of the year, he can write descriptions like '... I heard a scatter in the dark. It was like an airplane crashing in a thunder storm ...'




Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top